Wednesday, November 10, 2010

DIY Mercury Glass Vase

A couple of years ago, I bought a mercury glass vase at an after Christmas sale at Pottery Barn.  Recently, I noticed it had lost the mercury glass look.  So I did some research online and found a mercury glass tutorial
These two pictures are of the vase before.  What you see is a film that stayed on the glass from it's previous life as mercury glass.  I just cleaned it and did not bother removing the texture.


I wrapped the outside of the vase with tape and newspaper.  The spray paint I used was Rustoleum Metallic silver and a can of gold spray paint my mom had.

The first step is to lightly spray the inside of the vase with the silver paint.  Before it dries, get a cotton and lighlty dab the inside of the vase randomly.  Once you have done that, spray the gold color lightly.  Mercury glass is not perfect, so don't worry about it being perfect.

Here is my finished vase, I don't think it really looks like mercury glass, but it does look interesting.

 This is what the inside of the vase looks like.

 Here it is with my lovely orchids.  In front of it, is my mercury glass owl that I found at TJ Maxx, and that is where you can really tell the difference.  I'm thinking that maybe more gold could have come through the vase to make it look more authentic.
It was a fun little project that only took a few minutes.  You can probably do it with any vase that is wide enough to spray into.  Try it and let me know if you can perfect the technique.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  3/25/2013  

wonderful post, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector don't notice this. You should continue your writing. I'm sure, you have a huge readers' base already!

my web blog: jack lalanne power juicer pro

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...