Wednesday, September 21, 2011

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today, I got up the nerve to start my own blog.  I had been reading blogs, infertility related, for 4 years.  In August, I was researching a sunburst mirror and happened upon Three Men and a Lady now 4 Men 1 Lady and spent the next 3-4 hours scrolling through her entire blog.  It was way past midnight at this point.  The next day, I went back for more.  I then discovered her blog list and was hooked.  I hit a couple of Goodwill's and bought a can of spray paint and went at it the next day. Guess what, I loved what I did.  I went back for more.  I had always loved decorating and redoing my home, but I had found myself in a slump. 

At that point, our trying for a baby had made everything else unimportant...even myself.  We were in huge medical/fertility debt, our house seemed like it was falling apart, I hadn't exercised in 4 years, and I had been in a zombie like state for awhile.  Our battle had reached four years to be exact and what seemed like the end of the road for that battle. It was my turn to grieve.  My life was on hold, not hold, stopped.  Something changed that day that I found Michelle's blog.  I felt something in me change.  I wanted to do something for myself.  My afternoons alone no longer meant scrolling through fertility blogs, I wanted to be making something, painting something, fixing something.  The projects started small, but then I challenged myself.  I wanted more and I did more.  

I remember my husband came home the day I started my blog and I showed him what I had done and he kind of laughed it off and said go for it.  I remember my first follower, Sarah from Flourish Design and Style, followed me instantly.  I had no idea how she had found me.  I was elated. Later, I realized that the stats brought her to me.  She made my night. 

I have loved sharing my projects with you, the encouraging words, making friends, and hopefully sharing the love.  Although, the last couple of months have been kind of slow for me on this blog (so much personal stuff going on, it kind of takes over), I love opening my page and finding a new follower. I still tell my husband how many I have.  I truly appreciate and I am so grateful that you choose to read and follow what I do here. It warms my heart. 

So much has changed in me this past year, we are still hopeful for a miracle, but looking into alternatives.  Our medical/fertility debt is completely paid off (whew, this was all me!), I am doing Crossfit, and my home is looking so much more like US.  I have fought my way out of that dark place I was in.  I have worked hard.  There are still times when I have to grieve, but I am good, really good.  There's a huge part of me that thinks this little old blog helped me.  My focus changed, my life changed...I changed.  For that, I thank you all, from the bottom of  my heart.
Via

25 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace 9/21/2011  

Congratulations on all of it! Been down that fertility road myself, the hormones make it even harder than a normal challenge I think. It's wonderful you have awakened your spirit and listened to your soul. Wishing you continued success :)

PS - no, not closing up either of my Etsy shops, just thinking about checking out of blogging, not sure but maybe :)

Jon'el 9/21/2011  

Congratulations on your blog anniversary!!! You have inspired me (still need to do my headboard) through all your projects.

Maury @ Life on Mars 9/21/2011  

Happy Blogiversary! It sounds like you've been through a lot. I love your blog and the inspiration you bring me every time I stop by!

Unknown 9/21/2011  

Thanks for sharing your heart! Happy blogiversary! Keep inspiring us!

Christina'Marie 9/21/2011  

Lovely blog with so much inspiration!
Happy birthday to your blog:)

Gloria @ A Little Paint 9/21/2011  

Happy Blogiversary! I feel like blogging has done a similar thing for me, allowing me to not focus so much on the things that are out of my control, but to create a peaceful haven for me. So glad you started blogging! P.S. I love your blog!

Suzy-Q 9/21/2011  

Congratulations! On one year of starting your blog and on finding yourself once again! Glad that you are still here, as I have enjoyed following you and look forward to continuing to hear of your journeys :-)

Meghann 9/21/2011  

Congrats on your Blogiversary! Its great to hear all that your blog has done for you. I love reading it!

Unknown 9/21/2011  

Happy Blogiversary! Your blog looks awesome for only being One Year old! How funny that my post today was on my 12 Blogging Tips!

I too have been down that depressing road of infertility, though mine was secondary infertility. It took us 3 years, one miscarriage, and two rounds of IUI and we got my 3 year old. That's why we were all floored when our Surprise #3 Baby Davis came out of NOWHERE!!

I know it's a very hard road to take. Very sad and overwhelming especially when those around you are all seeming to get the things they want. :( Glad you have learned so much and have paid off your dr bills! Putting your attention into crafting IS definitely much more productive!!!

Vicky 9/21/2011  

That was a beautiful post. It's hard to be that open and honest with, not only others, but yourself as well. Good things happen. Believe that.

Ali Richardson 9/21/2011  

I loved reading this!! It made me small! Congrats and happy 1 year anniversary!! You are an awesome woman and blogger and I amm happy I get to follow you along ;)

Nikki @ the ambitious procrastinator 9/21/2011  

I'm so happy for your self renewal! It's really hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that you've only been blogging for a year. I mean, look at how nice it looks! You are constantly updating, and you've got a ton of followers! Congrats!

Chelsea @ two twenty one 9/21/2011  

Congrats on your one-year blogiversary and finding yourself again through blogging!

Anonymous,  9/21/2011  

congratulations! i really enjoy your blog and talent!! i want to start a blog but i dont think my life is interesting enough. im glad you took that flight and went for it-i hope every year brings new life journeys and blessings to you and yours!! hugs, Melanie

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} 9/21/2011  

Happy Blog-a-versary! Your story is amazing! It is always nice to find similar people to share ideas and be inspired!

Tiffany {Living Savvy}

I am your newest follower! Thanks for stopping by mine!

Anna@Directions Not Included 9/22/2011  

Big hug! I'm proud of what you've done with this blog. You are a huge inspiration!
Lots of love!

Unknown 9/22/2011  

Happy Blogaversary! Thank you for sharing this. For me blogging can sometimes make my stressful life a little more crazy but I do believe that it does change your life and I love it. I'm a book blogger and I'm not crafty at all but I enjoy visiting DIY/Fashion/Craft Blogs and yours is one of the ones I visit often.

Swirls of Happy 9/22/2011  

Happy blog birthday! Love your blog...it is so lovely!

Decor & Harmony 9/23/2011  

Thanks for being so open and candid with us, I adore your blog. May the next year bring you a lot of great blessings and satisfaction. Stop by for a blog visit :)

Anonymous,  9/24/2011  

Happy first year of blogging!!

I recently started reading your blog and 1) had no idea what you have been going thru and 2) assumed you'd been blogging for longer than a year... it looks so pretty and professional!!

Sending you thoughts and prayers for another great year ahead!

Jenn (The Former Miss)

Cristi O.,  9/25/2011  

Amazing, talk about turning lemons into lemonade! You have a beautiful gift...thank you for sharing it with us all! I am still believing in your miracle, in whatever way it may come. Good things happen to good people. You are an inspiration.

The Adventures of Ordy and Joon 9/26/2011  

i love this. everything about it makes me so happy. i love you and your blog, so keep blogging and keep creating!

Olga,  10/03/2011  

Congratulations!! Glad that you found you again!! That person is really special and always will be!! Love reading your blog and seeing your projects!! You're talented and an amazing woman!! Cheers and miracles!! Keep blogging!

Holly Gruszka 10/04/2011  

Whew, you've got me all teary eyed over here. I haven't gotten a chance to visit lately, but this really caught me. Blogging is such a wonderful outlet and it certainly sounds like it was the perfect tool of expression for you. A year is a huge accomplishment and something to be very proud of. I still remember you being the blog next to me on Elizabeth's blog hop at The Mustard Ceiling. Keep up the great work and know that your readers will always support you no matter how little or much you feel like writing. Have a great day.

6th Grade 11/09/2011  

too much to say after reading this... watch out for my email!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...